3.10.2009

Just Like You



I wake up in the morning.
I celebrate the day that the Lord has made.
And sometimes I don't, it's something I've prayed.

The sun rises for me.
I hit the snooze button a minimum of 5 times.
I'm hungry in the morning.
I like dry cereal, that's no crime.

Watch the morning news.
Drink coffee. Have some toast.
Say a quick prayer.
It's going to be a good day,
says the morning host.

When I leave for the day, I face many struggles.
Every day. Without fail.

Just like you.

I walk out somedays with a beat in my step.
Other days, I walk out fearing what the day will bring.
Never-the-less, I walk out with hope.
Hope with a capital 'H'.

I'm a soldier.
I'm a student.
I'm a executive director.
I'm a house wife.
I'm a blue-collar/white-collar worker.
I'm a hated tax collector.

And I don't work at all.

I'm a failure.
I'm a hero
I'm a addict.
I'm a funny guy.
I'm a cancer survivor.
I'm a hopeless romantic.

I'm a sinner.
Saved by Grace.

Just like you.

I take on the day, every way.
Have bad days.
And good ones too.
I bring home the bacon,
and sometimes bring nothing home to you.

I'm affected by the same things you are.
Though you may think I am not.
This Faith can't be shaken.
That's where anxiety stopped.

I carry burdens on my shoulders.
The weight of the world crushes me.
I cry in the bathroom at work.
I pray in my cubicle on my knees.

I wrestle with depression,
thinking about yearly fiscal reports.
I study the bible during my lunch period in the library.
I serve a God who won't fall short.

I cast my burdens on Him.
Because He wants them.
He doesn't condemn.
But sees me as His precious gem.

Just like you.

I come home to a broken home.
Or to nothing at all.
I enjoy a lovely dinner every night.
Or one from a disgusting mess hall.

Sometimes my food is from a microwaveable box.
The mash-potatoes still frozen.
The bodies essential building blocks.

I spend the evening in front of the T.V.
I study algebra all night.
I sit at a coffee shop with my closest friends.
I work on financial plans on a evening flight.

I roam the streets fearing who is after me.
I search for hope on the internet.
I perform plays with my kids.
I go to the gym, looking for a good sweat.

I get tired around ten thirty.
But sometimes don't fall asleep till 3 a.m.
I go to bed unfulfilled.
Searching for Something.
Looking for the Great I AM.

Other days I go to bed,
ready to face the next day.
Then I pray.
To not decay.
In my faith.
Because I found Someone.
Who is the Way.

Just like you.

You and I aren't so different.
We come from different backgrounds.
We are in a different tax category.
We live in different environments.
We are in different places in our life story.

But in that difference is where we rejoice.
Where we embrace one of the things we have in common.

Yaweh.
Jehovah.
Holy One.
The Beloved.
Savior.
Only Begotten Son.

Shepard.
Chief Cornerstone.
Elohim.
Lord of Lords.
The Truth.
Prince of Peace.

Almighty.
Lord of all.
Conqueror.
Lamb.
Horn of Salvation.
Counselor.

King of Kings.
Redeemer.
Living Water.
Bread of life.
The Lion of Judah.
Father.

Jesus.

I tip more then I normally would.
I work in the nursery at church.
I pray for Aunt who doesn't know Christ.
I encourage my friend who is going through hurt.

I search for answers now based in Truth.
I talk about Christ during my lunch break.
I volunteer serving the homeless on Tuesday nights.
I go out of my comfort zone and I don't fake.

I celebrate the cross.
The single most devastating event.
The death of the One who came to save.
Facing unspeakable torment.

Used now to free us.
Us.

Now we are in the same big family.
Now we carry the cross together.
Now we build each other up and are built up.
Now we serve the same Great Creator.

No matter where we came from.
I am saved by His love...
Grace...
Mercy.
I'm made new!

I celebrate everyday.
Just like you.

No comments: